ooops.... Neem oil soil drench....

dancinglemons(7B VA)November 16, 2010

Hello all,

I love my relatives. Most of the time. Visiting folks who mean well poured 1/2 gallon of a neem oil solution on the potting mix of my Lime and Meyer Lemon trees. I had prepared the solution for a light soil spritz to combat some pesky fungus gnats. When asked what I was preparing to do I said "put some neem on the citrus". Well meaning visitor poured 50% of the solution on each tree. I do not think it will be a problem but just thought I'd check with you guys and see what you think. Both trees are now inside for the winter.

So, what does everyone think? Take plants outside and flush the potting mix -or- leave plants alone. BTW it is 80% neem concentrate not the 100% pure.

Thanks,

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hi DL..Good to see you..

You probably killed most insects if there was any in the soil...

The plants will be fine..I have done the same thing, in fact deliberately to kill many soil pests..

Mike..:-)

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 3:22PM
thisisme(az9b)

Thanks Mike, its good to know neem won't kill the trees. I always wondered about that.

In the future a couple of mosquito dunks left overnight in a bucket of water will do the trick for fungus gnats and won't hurt you or your trees.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:06PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Thanks bunches Mike!! I have not been around for a while. DH and I had a really ruff, ruff (no not rough) summer! Attack of the killer squirrels!! My citrus got lots of nothing while I was in battle mode with the squirrels - totally ruined my tomatoes and corn.....

thisisme,
Thanks for the info on the dunks. I keep them for my EarthBox water reservoir - never thought about using them dissolved in the potted plants/trees. I am going to give the other containers a drink of the dissolved dunks this weekend.

Cheers all,
DL

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 2:44AM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™