Benz daylilies - Which ones you do grow?

Julia NY(6)January 28, 2013

I'm thinking (just thinking at this point) to add a few more Benz daylilies. I grow only 2 right now, ARCTIC BLAZE and EMPEROR'S CHOICE. Both of which do great here.

Which ones do you grow? Recommendations?

Thanks
Julia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Hi Julia,

He does have some beauties, and I plan to own a couple more of them as they become a little less dear.

The only one I currently grow is Barney. It does well here, and Rita grows it too, so it does well on Long Island also.

I have seen Jean's pics of it too, so it does well for her.

Othr than
Barney, I don't grow any.
kay

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:46AM
Old_Gardener63(10, 8)

I received Peace Dove this past summer and, although it has settled in well here, I won't know about how it blooms until later this year.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:55AM
marricgardens

Hi Julia. I grow Aramis. It forms a nice clump, high bud count.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 11:42AM
mantis__oh

Cherry Sundae is an older Benz red. Nice green throat; nothing to get excited about.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:56PM
Julia NY(6)

So, do they get to the registered heights? I looked up all the ones mentioned so far.

Any others?

Julia

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 7:28AM
marricgardens

Aramis is listed at 2'6". I think mine may be a bit taller than that, never measured it tho.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 8:17AM
proteinqueenfccc

I grow a few- Andrew Christian a fabulous yellow that makes everything else pop, Velvet Thunder a delicious burgundy, Janet Benz a sweet pink. All have fantastic bud counts and great presence. I plan to add more and more recent ones.

Heidi

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 4:52PM
Julia NY(6)

Heidi: What zone are you in? JANET BENZ was one I was thinking about. I have a soft spot for pinks.

Marric: Sounds like it is a tall one which is always a plus for me.

Julia

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 6:39PM
proteinqueenfccc

Julia,

We're practically neighbors, I live in a NW suburb of Philadelphia! Janet Benz is a rosie pink, not a clear baby pink. Been here about three years and always loaded with blooms.

Heidi

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 9:13PM
proteinqueenfccc

Julia,

We're practically neighbors, I live in a NW suburb of Philadelphia! Janet Benz is a rosie pink, not a clear baby pink. Been here about three years and always loaded with blooms.

Heidi

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 9:14PM
lynxe

The Benz intros I grow are older: EMERALD GLOW, very pretty, with a nice green throat; LAST MAN STANDING, a bitone that's late; a few others, but all registered in 2000.

I've always meant to get some newer ones, so I'll be interested in seeing what people here recommend.

Heidi, I'm north and east of Philly.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:02AM
proteinqueenfccc

Lynxe,

I'm in Willow Grove, maybe we could meet in bloom season and enjoy each other's gardens.

Heidi

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 12:57PM
mantis__oh

Imperial Lemon is Harris-Benz. Sorry I don't have a better picture. It is a great yellow that has earned its longevity in the garden.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 3:17PM
bluenosens

I do grow several Benzs. They do well in my Zone 5b zone. They are braided lightning, brave ulysses, bristling fury[hasn't bloomed yet], barney, celestial splender, emperors choice,hot pink beauty, janet benz, midnight heat, magnificent pink frisbee, one step beyond, oh great one, pinnacle pink, red grace, shirley's romance,vision of glory, velvet thunder,versuvian,walking tall...My gosh, I didn't realize I had so many Benzs...Love them all...cheers, lloyd...His Pinks are outstanding IMO....

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 8:31PM
Julia NY(6)

bluenosens: Do they get to the registered height? I'm starting to look the names up you and the others have posted. I've seen a couple of pics of VISION OF GLORY, but can't tell if it really blooms the way the hybridizer photo shows. Your opinion?

Heidi: Good to know your zone info for comparison. I'm in Upstate NY near Seneca Lake (Finger Lakes). A rose pink is still pretty :-). Got any pics?

lynxe: Do yours get to the registered height?

mantis: I can see it really pops in color. It reminds me of EMPEROR'S CHOICE, although I think IMPERIAL LEMON looks a bit taller.

I wish I could afford the newest intros but at $100 for a SF, I think I'll have to wait and look at the past intros.

As an FYI, if anyone knows where BARNEY can be gotten at a "reasonable" price, let me know.

Julia

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:47AM
bluenosens

Vison of Glory had its first blooms this summer and was paler than the pics. I would expect it to be darker this coming summer. Several of the Benz here take a couple of years to get to full heights. My Barney[yet to bloom] came from Bonibrae in Ontario, Canada. If you like a great pink try Oh Great One......cheers, lloyd

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:48PM
avedon_gw

Hi, Julia, sending along a couple of pictures of Imperial Lemon, the only Benz (Harris-Benz) we have. We love this daylily, one of our favorites. Avedon

Imperial Lemon Row--there are three clumps in this row.

Imperial Lemon single

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 7:48PM
flowergirl929(5)

You should add some they are great plants! I have 20 and always want more.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:45AM
Edward_Kimball

I have a bunch but most are so new that they haven shown their best yet. Imperial Decree was awesome this year. I look forward to seeing bloom on Arctic Bear and Spartan Warrior.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:37AM
katlynn719(8b)

I only have one and it is too new to judge performance. But I think it is a beauty - RUBY LIPSTICK -

Kathy

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:48AM
lynxe

How could I have forgotten RUBY LIPSTICK? I have it, too, but I probably left it out because it's newer and is still settling in. Ditto on VISION OF GLORY. Many, many thanks to a generous person who hangs out here and had them for sale.

BTW I agree that VISION OF GLORY is paler than images would lead one to expect, but, like I said, my plant is newer. I don't know whether that affects color.

And I've had ARAMIS and VESUSVIAN for years. I've probably left others off my list as well. This is what happens when one relies on memory!

julia, I'm guilty of rarely checking my plants against their registration info, so I can't tell you anything particularly accurate. EMERALD GLOW is registered as 34", and mine certainly seems fairly tall, if my memory is any guide. LAST MAN STANDING spent too many years in a pot, so we'll have to wait on that one.

I just ordered ARCTIC CLIPPER and LIFE OF THE PARTY. Two more from 2000...ha! I seem stuck in time. But they were on sale, and they're registered as being very fragrant, rebloomers, with good to great bud count, and, for the former, in a color I don't have much of. The latter is yellow, and I like yellow daylilies.

proteinqueen, a meetup sounds good to me! We're pretty close to each other, actually.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:32AM
Edward_Kimball

Here is a picture of Arctic Clipper from this year.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:45AM
flowergirl929(5)

Wow I don't have ruby lipstick or arctic clipper but now I think I might try and find them! Beautiful pictures

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:18PM
Julia NY(6)

Great suggestions all. Still looking them up.
Avedon, that clump shot is wonderful.:-).

Julia

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 4:53PM
alpha_5(zn5 IL)

We have grown many Benz plants over the years. We still have quite a few around. We used to buy his collections, but they have gotten so expensive, and there are so many plants in each collection that are of no interest to us, so we now select just a few. We no longer get to use his toothy creations as they are generally sold in the collection only. We hate that, but there are so many toothy plants out there that we consider to have much clearer color. So many of the Benz toothies were extremely difficult pod parents.

Ruby Lipstick has been spectacular here. We have sold it down to one or two fans on several occasions and it just keeps springing back. Like someone else here commented, we love his pinks. Janet Benz is a true classic, we believe it will be around for a long, long time.

Dale
"snowbirding" on the Alabama Gulf Coast

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:50PM
celeste(zone 4 NH)

I only have a few Benz and none have been here for very long but so far they all perform well for me.
Here's some pictures from last summer...
Celeste

Dreaming of Rainbows

Barney

Jurassic Eye

Lilac Surprise

Shades of Summer

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 2:37PM
Edward_Kimball

It is too early to know the full plant habit but the bloom on Voluptuous Beauty is the best pink I have...and that's saying something.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 6:44PM
flowergirl929(5)

oh how i love that pink!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:09PM
Julia NY(6)

So far I've ordered OH GREAT ONE and VISION OF GLORY from Rich Howard - ctdaylily. I decided I didn't want to bother with auction sales and getting into a bidding frenzy so went to some sellers sites that I've heard good things about.

Still looking, list is growing but being good and pacing myself :-).
Thanks for all the photos.

Julia

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 6:18PM
Mikhail-A

Hello - Mikhail, Russia, Moscow
My some daylilies John Benz

BLOODRAYNE

This post was edited by Mikhail-A on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:35

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:11AM
Mikhail-A

BRIGHT CHRISTMAS

This post was edited by Mikhail-A on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:14

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:11AM
Mikhail-A

DARK TERRITORY

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:17AM
Mikhail-A

NIGHT FLYER

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:20AM
Mikhail-A

PERFECT PINK PORCELAIN

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:23AM
Mikhail-A

RASPBERRY SORBET

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:25AM
Mikhail-A

RUBY LIPSTICK

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:27AM
Mikhail-A

SILVER SURFER

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:29AM
Mikhail-A

SPARTAN LAW

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:31AM
Julia NY(6)

Thank you Mikhail for the photos of your Benz daylilies. What growing zone are you in Russia in comparison to US Zone chart?

Julia

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:55PM
lynxe

Thanks to you, Mikhail, I've just added PERFECT PINK PORCELAIN and BLOODRAYNE to my wish list. Your BLOODRAYNE is even more beautiful and more interesting than I'd realized. Spasibo! :)

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:49PM
Julia NY(6)

lynxe: I've been thinking about PPP and I know that Blue Ridge has it. :-).

Julia

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 4:26PM
Edward_Kimball

Perfect Pink Porcelain has excellent form. I hope the performance lives up to the registered numbers. I have used it for hybridizing.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:29PM
Julia NY(6)

Anyone grow GLISTENING PORCELAIN? Pics?

Thanks
Julia

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:19AM
celeste(zone 4 NH)

I ordered 'Cheddar Cheese' from Earlybird because I remember it from Rita's photos last summer. I hope it will be as good as it looked.

Celeste

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Now for charming "C" daylilies!
Let's see what you all have, I Need to add more to...
sherrygirl zone5
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™