one tuber grew two types of plants is this reverting?

tyshee(Z 3 & 4)September 30, 2007

Three stems (stalks) from same tuber. One is Brookside Cheri (cactus type) and the other is a pink semi cactus. Two of the stems are the pink and one is cheri. Even the leaves are different. I though perhaps another tuber had got planted with it. Wrong. Is this what you call reverting? The pink is lovely. Sort of salmon pink, semi cactus, with yellow streaking. What will I get next year? I cut the brookside stalk out of it hoping I would get it again as I really like it. I also like the semi cactus. Has anyone seen this before? Very weird. I have seen a lily have two types of blooms on one stem but this thing has two types of leaves also from the one tuber. It has made more tubers from the parent so very curious as to what happens next. Not two different tubers either. I had to cut from the side of the parent to separate the brookside stalk. I can see a color similarity between as Cheri is salmo with yellow. Need your expertise on this one. Next Thomas Edison had a strang fungus growing at the top of the tubers. I spoke to a plant expert about this cauliflower growth and he advised me to cut it out. Has anyone ever seen this? It was a new tuber this year. All of these above mentioned dahlias grew nice healthy plants and bloomed profusely. tyshee@acsalaska.net for personal comments. Thanks.

Bobbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

A photo would be nice so we can better see what you are describing.Sounds intriguing.

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tyshee(Z 3 & 4)

I didn't think to take a photo. I did cut the stem with the odd dahlia right out of the center hoping the tubers would produce it again. Now I have it in three pieces so will see what they produce.

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™