Madagascar Palm--ROT??

caitlinbNovember 28, 2010

Hello,

I'm new to the boards here but have done a bit of surfing and would like some verification about rot...I believe my Pachy might have some at it's tip. A week ago I left for Thankgiving break in Oklahoma and left my pachy outside. I came home today to find it knocked over with it's leaves completely wilted. It is about 1'6" tall with the upper four inches now squishy and a slightly blue iridescent color. I read about a similar story and the poster was instructed to decapitate the poor thing...I fear I will have to do the same. I would just like some verification that this is in fact rot and that the next course of action should be surgery! Thank you so much!

Caitlin Brown

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

I would say yes... cut well below the squishy spot, and if you still see 'bad color', keep cutting until you get a nice healthy ooze of white sap and normal looking tissues. Keep very dry and warm.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 10:12PM
caitlinb

Thanks for such a quick response! Any idea if there is much of a survival rate after cutting? I sure hope so...I'll be really sorry to lose it, I enjoy it so much!

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 10:54PM
lzrddr(91360)

The chances of survival are pretty good as long as you get to healthy tissue. I have hacked off several of mine after a particularly bad freeze killed the tops and rotted several inches of plant. Often they will begin to branch at this 'cut-off' point.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 1:17AM
Pluke2011

Hi,I'm a new comer to this forum. I want to know what is the cause of the rotting Madagascar Palm ? And what should we do to prevent it later ?

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 8:43AM
cactusmcharris

Pluke,

External injury or overwatering/not-porous-enough soil (especially) are the usual suspects.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
My Hobbits and Gollums... any further id welcome
I can guess some id's but I am not 100% sure, as I...
nanzjade_z5
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™