Help! Looking for 20-25h 3-8w fast growing screen Ideas

Grizzly700May 2, 2012

Hello again forum, first thanks again to Dax for the Hetz wintergreen I am considering. The only problem is availability. Here is my situation in PA I have about 10 feet to work with and do no want a huge tree. I am looking for something fast growing,full, 3-8 feet wide and 20 to 25 feet high. I was looking at Hetz, nellie stevens holly, Steeplechase, Pyramidalis, Thuja Hoyt Splendor, and of course Green Giants. AS far as green giants if planted 6 feet apart how wide and tall do they get? ..Please help and ideas welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

green giants can exceed the 8 foot width within 5 years ... depending on size at planting

their height is unlimited .. given enough time

ken

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:44AM
strobiculate

The description sounds like arbs also some could wind up somewhat larger, especially as they attain great age.

for the life of me i have a hard time differenting the varieties brandon and rushmore. hetz wintergreen has a slightly broader growth habit, but they are young they are very much like the others. rate of growth of all three is as fast as you'll find in arbs (t. occidentalis). all have the same primary claim to fame, resistance
to winterburn.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:39AM
scotjute

The Nellie Stevens Holly has worked well for us down here for an under 20' screen. Has proved to be fairly drought-resistant also.
Techny Arborvita looks good. We're too hot for it down here, but it should be right for your area. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
Leyland Cypress in containers? What can I do with them?
(Zone 7a - Northern Virginia. Winter temperatures usually...
mayurkirti
What tall conifers for north side of house ?
I live in zone 5a. The north side of my century home...
Erika
Picea a. 'Perry's Gold'
Picea abies 'Perry's Gold' in winter time camouflage...
davesconifers
Is this an Abies Disease?
I just noticed that my Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'...
garcanad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™