Could the black barck mulch be the culprit??

ladybugsmom192(9)September 9, 2012

I'm not new to dahlias, but new to starting them from tubers for this year. I have several in an area that gets morning and early afternoon sun, that's it, and are planted with one hydrangea and a couple of patches of gladiolis. In this particular area I have mulched with black bark, hubby thought it would be a different look and wanted try it. But I'm now wondering if this is what's wrong with my plants.

I have about 6 planted there, 2 Arabian nights, 2 Christmas, and not sure what the other two are, and all but one has fried from the GROUND UP. The one that hasn't is weak and spindly.

I have several others in an area directly across from these and they're going like gangbusters!! One of these is almost 7 feet tall with beautiful blooms! The difference is no bark mulch. Well, no mulch at all. And they're planted with the same combination of plants as the others.

, but they get just a little more sun in the late afternoon.

Any suggestions? Should I dig up the bark?

Thanks,

Ladybugs mom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

A few months ago, I read a similiar post on the Hosta forum and the person posting indicating that they had used black mulch and it pretty much killed the plants in the gardens they had used it in.

Linda

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Please Help Identify Dahlia
I'm looking for help identifying the dahlia in this...
petesf
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™