Is there a Guiness record for dahlia height?

redmond_phyllisSeptember 12, 2009

While I'm not at all sure that it's desireable, I have a Cyril Higgo that was measured last week at 7 feet, 10 inches! Had a windstorm so we had to go out to buy a bigger stake to keep it from going over and taking it's neigbors with it. It looks unwieldly, however I think with babying, I can keep it upright for the remainder of the season. Any other records for tall dahlias to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

This deserves a photo. Don't you think? Mine have never been that tall.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 9:40PM
redmond_phyllis

I'll work on that. Have a picture but have to get the file small enough. Maybe tomorrow?

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 11:47PM
plantlady2008

Our Kenora Clyde's used to always be at least 10' tall- Walt would stake it w/ a 6' wooden stake & then just keep adding five-footers to it until he finally got to the top. One year it was 12' tall. Luckily it had a really big, thick stalk so it didn't break off. We quit growing it though because, even though we didn't use it for a seed parent, it did get around via the bees & we started getting really tall seedlings- we didn't want that so bye, bye, Clyde!

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 1:21AM
redmond_phyllis

So I have a picture in my files, and I made the file very small so it should be compliant with the forum, but how do I get my picture on the posting? I've read through the instructions, and they seem to point me to the picture gallery forum. But I see other people posting pictures on this forum so I'm missing some information! Help? We don't have photobucket . . .

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 3:02AM
Poochella(7 WA)

You can sign up for photobucket for free.

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 2:07PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Phyllis, we want to see your dahlias! Check out Photobucket, if you want, and I'll be happy to tutor you by email on uploading and posting. It's really easy.

Regarding tall dahlias, we're reaching that time of year when I have to sacrifice tall monsters to let sun get to those poor waifs in their shadows. My tallest by far was Jaylene G a small rose-colored waterlily that packed a punch at 9'-10'. I cut one off at a reasonable 4'level. It's already grown new sprouts up to 5'. Others that will get the snip are 8' or so, shadowing 4 footers behind them. So much for planning heights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™