What happened to my Dahlias?

janinecollette(6 NJ)September 29, 2007

Hi All.. Need some of your expert advice :) I searched through my Ortho Problem Solver book, but I cant seem to figure out what happened to my beautiful dahlias (tears). Here's some pics of what they looked like a month ago. So full and healthy! Click the pic to see it larger.

And here's what they look like now. They are lost all their bottom leaves which turned brown,I have been removing them, hence I guess why they look so thin. I'm sprayed them several times with the Ortho Systemic Insect Spray, but I guess it never helped. What do you think the problem was/is? I'm about to remove them bc they look so pitiful. :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knotz(8/PNW SWWA)

Mine didn't do very well this year either...Powder mildew even though they are completely in the open...Most of mine look like yours...I don't know what caused this, but I think I'm going to get rid of mine and use the space for another type of flower.

I hope someone can help out...knotz

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 12:19PM
theras_garden

Looks like powdery mildew to me (disclaimer: I'm no expert though). I used baking soda in water to spray on my heavily mildewed squash leaves this year (next to my dahlia bed which I sprayed too, just in case) and within days I saw recovery and my dahlias never got the mildew.
I used the recipe from previous forum post: 5 Tbsp. baking soda + 1 gallon water
The 5 Tbsp. sounded like a lot to me (thought it might be 5 tsp. instead) but I didn't see any detrimental effect on the squash or dahlias.

thera

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 1:12PM
janinecollette(6 NJ)

Thanks All! Knotz, I think I am going to get rid of these after I dig them up as well. Never happened before.. Don't want a repeat next season :)

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 12:19PM
crdahlia(z8bWA)

It doesn't look like powdery mildew to me. Looks more like spider mites. In either case, it won't affect the tubers, so don't throw away (unless you're looking for a reason to get some new ones). But -- you should cut down the plants and get rid of the debris. DON'T COMPOST IT!!

I never compost any dahlia debris, just in case there is some disease or bug in it. I had dahlia smut this year for the first time, and I will be very careful to clean everything off the ground when I dig. Luckily I live in the country and can burn.

Teresa

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 8:47AM
holmes_apprentice(6)

That's what mine looked like too. I thought it was the heat. First timer with Dahlias here...only 2 plants. I cut them back...not even thinking they were coming back. They are now growing again. So I'm going to try to winter them.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Depth to add Leaf Gro to clay soil
Hi...does anyone know how much Leaf Gro (depth in inches)...
niname1008
Growing Dahlias in zone 13b
We recently moved from Indiana to Costa Rica. In Indiana...
dreamskape
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
Sponsored Products
Blue Acrylic Ice -Tube Pitcher
Classic Hostess
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Ventura Lifestyle
Home Depot
Dutch Dog Design DoggyRide Mini Stroller Conversion Set - DRMNSK02
$66.92 | Hayneedle
Crystorama 5575-AB-CL Dawson Chandelier - 5575-AB-CL-MWP
Hayneedle
Dahlia Deep-Pocket Sheet Set
$39.99 | zulily
Florence Style Loft Armchair Wool Set of 2 in Red Tweed
$819.00 | LexMod
Ro Sham Beaux Orbit Clear Beaded Chandelier
ModernistLighting.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Senses Shag Green 7 ft. 9 in.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™