Pruning Back Black Eye Susan Vine

teakettle2January 3, 2012

Happy New Year

I have a black eye Susan vine that has pretty much taken over my side fence. I want to prune it back some. The crazy thing is still blooming.

Right now it is growing out of its original one gallon black pot from Lowes. (I think, I havent seen the pot for over a year, all grown over) Should I repot it? Or should I trim it back and stick it in the ground (finally after two years?)

The vine is about 8 feet high and 15 feet long-about 12-18 inches wide. This is the 2nd winter it has survived, we had frost a couple of weeks ago-it just kept blooming.

I have neglected it for so long-I think any attention I give it now might shock it to death. Poor thing.

Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koszta_kid(Iowazone 5)

I wish I could get mine to come back. Was told it was an annual here. Maybe not this year-lot warmer then normal. And less then 1 inch of snow so far.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 8:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Plant it in the ground, but not in the dead of winter. It may die when you replant because its pot bound. You can trim it back. I trim mine often, but I live in san francisco. It will come back from winter, if it well established. It won't be established after you transplant it. I think you can root a cutting in the house in water and then plant that in the spring in case it dies.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday
Good Saturday morning, cottagers!! Fine snow is sifting...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™