What's your favorite white ball dahlia?

Linda's Garden z6 UtahSeptember 28, 2011

I want to get a white ball type dahlia at least 4" or bigger and would like suggestions on what your favorites are. The ones that I have seen in the Swan Island catalog that I like are L'ancresse and Brookside Snowball. I am sure there are others out there too.

I am looking for a nice one to cut and is prolific. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teddahlia

When you say "I am sure there are others out there too." you are probably wrong. You are asking for ball flowers that are larger than typical ball dahlias that are just over 3.5 inches in diameter. Most ball dahlias of any color are between 3.5 and 4 inches in diameter. Having said all of that there are two or three suggestions:
(1) Dorothy R. is listed as a miniature ball but nearly all of the flowers are over 3.5 inches in diameter(not quite 4!). It is much easier to grow than L'ancresse and has much better stems than Brookside Snowball.
(2) There is a formal decorative called RJR that has 4 inch flowers that look more like a ball than Brookside Snowball. By the way the ADS has taken Brookside Snowball out of the ball class and now it is listed as a formal decorative.
(3) Ryecroft Jan M FD W is an excellent cut flower and is a ball shaped flower in my garden. It's size is about 3.5 inches in diameter.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 12:06PM
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

Thanks for the information. I was leaning towards L'ancresse, but if it is hard to grow, I think I will choose something else. I will check out your other suggestions. I should have realized that when Swan Island says they are 4" inches that they wouldn't be quite that big because they never are.

Thanks again,
Linda

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 7:07PM
redmond_phyllis

The first time I grew L'ancresse, it didn't do that well. This year, the plant itself is over 8 feet, and it's constantly blooming with multiples. So had this year been the only year for L'ancresse, I would have scratched my head at Ted's indication that it's not easy to grow. I do like my L'ancresse, but since I've never grown some of Ted's other suggestions, I can't say that they aren't better. Easier is always a draw for me!

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™