Some help please ?

tsflowers(z5 IN)September 27, 2006

This spring I ordered Dahlias from Van Bourgondien. I was reading through the forum posts and noticed someone else has ordered from them also. I didn't get my dahlias labeled this spring so I don't know the ones from Van Bourgondien. I looked for their spring catalog, but must have pitched it. Here is a photo: It is only about 24" to 28" and the foliage is different from my other decorative dahlias. The foliage has more of a ferny appearance. Is this Powder Puff dahlia? (That's one of them that I ordered.)

Also, two years ago I ordered from a wholesale supplier a dahlia named Peaches n' Dreams. It was their cover photo and they said it was the dahlia of the year. I went to the ADS website and couldn't find anything out about a dahlia of the year. Has anyone heard of this dahlia?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

That particular company probably had it as it's own personal "Dahlia of the Year" - makes it sound good & they can sell more tubers-- but it's not a show flower nor has it ever been an ADS or NW Federation flower of the year. It's not even listed in either the current classification book nor the 76-05 one. There is a Peaches & Cream (not Dream)(WL yellow & pink) & a Peaches 'n Cream (M FD LtBl- orange & white) but neither of them look anything like this one.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 11:11PM
tsflowers(z5 IN)

Thanks plantlady. I guess I was tired when I posted that, because I double checked my invoice from them (Van Bloem Gardens) and the dahlia is called Peaches & Cream. I was extremely disappointed!! I paid $5 each and had to buy 16. I was so disappointed I didn't even dig them. However, they seemed to be the hardiest dahlia I had because 4 of the 16 overwintered.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 8:32AM
plantlady2(NW Washington)

WOW - for $5.00 each you could have ordered from a REAL dahlia supplier & gotten good show quality blooms. I just hate it when the big commercial growers rip people off like that- & most dahlia suppliers don't require you to buy a minimum amount either. Go to the Colorado Dahlia Society site & look up Suppliers-- there's lots of them there & they specialize in dahlias. By the time you work your way down the list from A-W it'll be time to order your new dahlias for next year!

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Lumens needed for starting pots indoors ?
Looking to put together a simple indoor T5 lighting...
dan1018
Gardening Newbie
Hi, all! I am new to growing and am hoping that I don't...
Terri Williams
Sponsored Products
Ambella Home Collection - Salone Buffet - 27024-630-001
Great Furniture Deal
Damask on Blue Oushak Rug 10' x 14'
$4,499.00 | Horchow
Couristan Everest Hamptons Area Rug - Red Multicolor - 0766/4981-3.11X3.11OCTAGO
$129.00 | Hayneedle
Vassily Tray by Alessi
$160.00 | Lumens
Sloane - White Vertical Flat Panel Designer Radiator 63 x 18 1/2
Hudson Reed
Black Trivet
$12.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™