How do I get rid of leaf miners?

SadbutTrue999November 24, 2012

Theyre attacking the new leaves of all my citrus plants (a tangerine, a hybrid, a sweet lime and a lemon tree) as soon as they pop up. Our older leaves look fine (after a point). I've used a few generic sprays (neem, some general garden 3 in 1, the hose), and I've also tried trimmming ALL new & affected leaves off. Neither technique seems to change the situation.

What do i do??

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Get Spinosad and spray new leaf flush every 2 or 3 weeks untill they stop growing. You will be happy with the results.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Sadbuttrue, we've commented about CLM probably a 100 times on our forum :-) Just search for "Citrus Leafminer" and you'll see my posts, as well as many other forum members' posts on controlling CLM. First off, don't cut off the leaves. That does nothing to control the issue, and robs your trees of precious leaves needed to conduct photosynthesis. CLM only affects the newer, more tender leaves, the larvae cannot penetrate the older leaves when they hatch. CLM control is a matter of timing. You're way past the season, now, and what you're seeing is the residual leaf damage caused by the larvae of the CLM moth, which has long left the leaf. Start your treatment in July if you live in California or Arizona (you don't mention where you live, or have it in your GardenWeb Zone field, which helps us a lot, so consider adding that, see mine, above.) If you are in the Gulf states, you're going to need to start treating in March, as the Gulf States have CLM issues twice a year, spring and then in later summer. If you also search your state's extension information, you'll get timing for treatments.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Citrus Leafminer

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™