Manfreda question

greybird_kekeNovember 25, 2012

A few weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Manfreda "chocolate chip" at a greenhouse. Since it is not winter hardy here, I brought it inside under fluorescent lights to overwinter. The lower leaves are slowly turning yellow....I have never had one of these before, and I wonder if it is a normal reaction to the lower light, or if there's anything I can do to make it happier. It is very potbound, but I was going to wait till Spring to repot it. It's such a beautiful plant, and I really want it to survive the winter! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

GK,

I think Agaves and their relatives, like the Manfredas, don't stop growing, although they may slow down a lot during a particular season, throughout the year. Your plant is growing, as it does shedding older (lower) leaves. I'd repot it - it will grow given sun and warmth during the winter - my Mangave 'Bloodspot' does, as do the other Agaves, although at a reduced pace.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I grow several types of manfredas and they freeze back in the winter here in Zone 8b and grow again in the spring. Also they get eaten to the ground by deer and pop right up again.I have to hide the manfredas by thorny and spiky plants. Manfreda maculosa and M. seleri are native to areas close to me. When I googled Manfreda chocolat chips , Plant delights says it has "winter deciduous rosettes" and has it hardy to Z7-8. I do not know how they woiuld react growing inside since I have never had them inside in a northern clime. It is on my want list but then I remember all that high priced deer food that I have already bought. Deer really love M. mocha macho.I tried 3 times at $7 and $15 a dish, I mean pot. They seem to leave the M. bloodspot alone though so far. That one is not deciduous. It is more like its agave parent in that regard.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™