Okay Viking, you've got me going now...

j_nail(5 Eastern WA)September 29, 2008

I've always been the first to say "I'm no florist". But after perusing the forum lately I've been biting my nails at the temptation to try. Then I went out to take some pictures (now that my Dahlias are FINALLY blooming...) and there one of my poor blooms was, it's nice long stem just bent, head hanging low and begging for relief. So I thought I'd just cut it and put it in a vase, and before I knew it I had a fist full of flowers out of my garden and was slicing and dicing them all over the place in the kitchen. I must have made 5 trips out to the yard and through the house to find more vases! Before I knew it I had 2 arrangements I was pretty happy with and a third that was just okay (ran out of creative steam!). So here are the two nice ones!

I also took a FOURTH arrangement in to the Nursery when I went to bust my hump for our big sale this weekend! I didn't get a chance to take pictures of it since it was an impulsive on my way out the door to work thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingcraftsman

All right glad to have you join us. Love the beach grass, I used to work out on fireisland. I used to use floral paint on that stuff. Made great dried flowers for the winter.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 10:30PM
j_nail(5 Eastern WA)

Oh floral paint...

I have a (pro) florist friend who is BONKERS for floral paint. At least he was during school when he had unlimited access to it! The staff at the school still talk about it!

Does it lose that beautiful flowy appearance when you use paint on it? I love making wreathes with the leaf stalks, and it would be great to incorporate the blooms as well! I planted little thumb sized clumps three years ago and now they're 2 feet across and the tallest blooms are about 8 feet tall! I'm in love with that grass, can't wait to see it get BIGGER!

Thanks! For both the inspiration and ideas!

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 10:45PM
plantlady2008

If you spray lightly & from a distance with the floral paint it doesn't clump up or lose that feathery appearance.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 11:52PM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Nice washer too. Steve in Baltimore County

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 4:53AM
j_nail(5 Eastern WA)

Thanks! It's new(er) and it was FREE! I wondered if I'd catch some guff over that somehow. However, that spot had the best lighting, with the darkest background and enough room for the arrangement to stand that I could come up with!

*sigh* It's nice to know that there's someone else with a sense of humor up and on GW at this time of night! Now I'm all self-conscious...

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 5:05AM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

Both arrangements look great!!

Thanks.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 8:04AM
vikingcraftsman

No big deal with the washer, if you look at my photoes. You will see I laid a towel over the front of an old van. Then I crop out most of the van in my shots. You do what you have to to get the shot.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 4:53PM
pdshop(5)

These are so great. We will have to have a contest. I have made some with no one to see them. My latest was broken off heads in the bird bath.

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 9:26AM
vikingcraftsman

Great idea Pdshop, I have some neighbors that don't like flowers. I will break their heads off and put them in a bird bath. Make great decorations for Halloween.

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 10:53AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

neighbors that don't like flowers? what the hell is WITH some people?? I can't understand that. Ambivalent sure, but NOT LIKE?? I wouldn't trust them on anything then.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Gardening Newbie
Hi, all! I am new to growing and am hoping that I don't...
Terri Williams
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 17H in. Large Lion Head Urn - 91-1644
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Viking Hickory Collection Dresser and Mirror
Beyond Stores
NFL Minnesota Vikings Football Oval: 2 Ft. 9 In. x 1 Ft. 8 In. Rug
$27.95 | Bellacor
Viking Stockton Arm Bi-fold Couch Collection
Beyond Stores
25-Inch Viking D&K Table Lamp
$612.00 | Bellacor