want some schlumbergera seeds?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)December 11, 2012

I pollinated several of my christmas cacti 6 weeks ago expecting only 2 or 3 seedpods to take. Here I am with several dozen--lol! Is there a big interest in these or should I just nip off most of them? I never realized these could be so prolific! These are mostly crosses of bright red/cerise and a lavender/white. Anyone interested?

--Rr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

Im interested. The only seeds i have are mammillaria, melocactus, and gymnocalycium, and i would like to try to grow more seeds than just those.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 3:06AM
Laura Robichaud

I will trade you some true CC cuttings if you're interested. I also have some jade cuttings. Not a great time of year though.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:29AM
shauntavia(z8 GA)

I am interested. Will pay.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:08AM
Laura Robichaud

I'll root some and share in the spring when it's safer to ship.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:10AM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

March is fine--thanks!

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:42AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi can you pls. clarify if you've got a TC or a CC?

It's my understanding the seed pod (apple?) can take a year or so to ripen (& did once w/ me), so while it's a great offer (thanks), I think folks will have to wait quite a while.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:16AM
Laura Robichaud

LOL We grow succulents and cacti, we NEED to be a patient bunch.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:20AM

The lavender one has jagged edges and the peak bloom was 1-2 weeks ago, so I guess that's a Christmas cactus? The red ones peaked 4 weeks ago and have smoother edges, so that's a Thanksgiving cactus I guess. Obviously they overlapped enough to pollinate, but the TC's most likely crossed with other TC's. Last time, the pods turned pink after 4-5 months, and I was told that once the color changes they're done. There are so many, I can test and see...I'm offering these for people to have fun with. Genetics will always be a mystery in this case.--Rr

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 2:04PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well No Rred, not quite,

Thanks for replying, but just so you know: broadly speaking, the jagged edged ones are TC, the rounded edge ones are CC, irrespective of time of bloom, it's about the segment shape & the bloom.

(I forget how to provide a link, but if you search for Holiday Cactus, you'll likely find the one which explains the distinctions btwn them & how to tell them, apart.)

Anyway, I hope you're ready to wait for the 4-5 months you said yours took to ripen (before you can collect the seeds) The one I ripened on my plant took a full year to redden some yrs. ago.

I actually have a small seedling of one growing now, have you seen the pix? It's about year old, IIRC.

Here's a pic from last July (guess it was abt 6 months old then)

It's the vertical green segment in the center of the pic.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 3:57PM

I never claimed to be knowlegable on the differences between the two. They are what they are, a chance to grow something nice for the price of postage. Last time I grew seedpods on these, they went from green to pink in about 5 months, and I was told that at that point the seeds are viable, although I waited several more months for the pods to get a little soft.

--Rr

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 4:39PM
aseedisapromise

Mine don't take a full year, my experience is more like rred's. Five months or so should do it.

rred said: "The lavender one has jagged edges and the peak bloom was 1-2 weeks ago, so I guess that's a Christmas cactus? The red ones peaked 4 weeks ago and have smoother edges, so that's a Thanksgiving cactus I guess."

I sure would like to see a photo of your round edged red one. I had a cross that didn't bloom this year, but it was between a reddish zygocactus(Thanksgiving cactus) and my true Christmas cactus. It was red, bloomed late like Christmas cactus, had rounded segments, and had blooms that hung down. Too bad it wasn't that robust. Some of my crosses are pretty wimpy.

Also, you can't really tell by when they bloom what they are. There are Thanksgiving cacti nicely budded for sale at the KMart near me today, Dec 11. So they will bloom closer to Christmas than Thanksgiving. It's much better to go by their physical characteristics. Here's my true Christmas cactus.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:11PM
123Greta(9b)

I'd certainly be interested. Love planting seeds and seeing what happens! (:

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:38PM
phalnellie(z6TN)

Congrats!!!! I would love some.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:04PM

My pleasure. I'm asking people to remind me in mid-March and send an email with the word 'Rick' in the subject line. There should be plenty to go around!

--Rr

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:10AM
More Discussions
Any ideas on what this is?
Hi everyone!! I just acquired this, I'm thinking thinking...
LilBit7765
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
growing succulents from seeds
Is there a special trick to growing succulents from...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
A and E Cage Co. Split Level House Bird Cage with Divider PC4226D - PC4226DPLATI
$529.99 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. Outer Banks Collection 1-Light Post-Mount Outdoor Architectura
$53.20 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Westport Collection 1-Light White Post Lante
$73.08 | Home Depot
Market Square Medium Outdoor Wall Mount
$179.00 | Bellacor
Seed Floral Satin-Trim 300-Thread Count Down Blanket
$89.99 | zulily
George Kovacs Light Rain Collection 24" Wide Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Elton 1-light Black Indoor/ Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Overstock.com
Branford Obsidian Mist Small Outdoor Wall Mount
$130.30 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: