Planted too late

fran_always(z6 PA)October 13, 2006

Hi, everyone. I grew beautiful dahlias this year. In August, though, I received 3 tubers as a free bonus. They are dinner plate I suppose. I planted them. One of them has flowered already, the other two are all in buds.

We are expecting a serious frost this weekend. What would you do? Transplant them to pots? I have a portable hotbed, should I try to see if I can put it around the plants? What happens if I dig the tubers now? Will they be too depleted to grow again next year?

Thanks for any help.

Fran

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caroldiane(5)

Fran, seeing as how you planted them when they were supposed to be in full flower I think it comes down to your accepting that this season is a lost one....and you should look forward to planting them next spring about the time you put out your annuals.....maybe a little sooner..when the soil has warmed up sufficiently.

As it is, you may as well leave them in the ground until after a hard frost....which will turn the foliage black.
Then you dig them up and store them in a cool, dry, dark environment. Bury them in peat moss or dry sand.
Let them dry though for a day or so in your garage so as to not store them in a too moisturized condition.
Moisture around the soft tissue of your dahlia tuber can initiate mildew or rot. Let them dry out a bit before you store.

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™