How long till seedlings bloom

KarenPA_6bJanuary 26, 2014

If daylilies are started from seeds in the spring, how many growing seasons do they take to begin blooming? Are there anyways to speed up the process?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julia NY(6)

If you start them in March/April outdoors, you could have blooms the following year. I've started seeds indoors in Jan/Feb and planted them out in May and most would bloom for me the following bloom season. Some took two seasons to bloom. Parentage may be the key. I don't plan to do seeds indoors anymore and will try direct planting when space becomes available.

Julia

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 7:04PM
KarenPA_6b

Thank you very much for your response. It is good to know there is a likelihood for the seedlings to bloom the following year, I just do not know what to expect as this is the first time I am growing daylilies from seeds. I thought that they would take longer.

Karen

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 9:36PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

My seedlings have been slower than that -- I chalk it up to mediocre care, which I'm trying to improve. In 2013 some of my 2011 seedlings bloomed, but not even half. None of the 2012 seedlings bloomed. I'm in Houston and I was starting the seeds around August. So don't be too disappointed if they take a couple years.

Nate

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Pink Daylily questions
I was given a bunch of the orange daylilies (last year)...
srks72
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
Time for desirable "D" daylilies!
Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets...
sherrygirl zone5
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Rain, Rain Go Away...
We have had an abundance of rain...I am glad, but am...
organic_kitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™