Rooting Haworthia

nokiDecember 22, 2011

I assume you can easily root many Haworthia from plants that have had their roots die or from broken off pieces. Or just from offsets that have started to root?

Just stick in coarse soil and wait? Of types that heavily offset I want to start fresh with undamaged growth.

I also found a near undamaged (on top) large "Zebra" at the grocery literally soaking in water. The roots shriveled and broke off after I repotted it. I pulled off some of the lowest leaves. Will this root or am I wasting my time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Many Haws are easy to root. I have been very neglectful in the past and over-watered some plants. I just clean them up and let them callus and then re-pot watering carefully. The same is true with the offsets. Although, I try to remove those offsets that have started to show some small roots. Good growing!

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 9:17AM
lzrddr(91360)

I often accidentally rip out one or two of these while weeding and notice NO roots (usually in heat of summer, but sometimes due to overwatering). Just stuff plant back in dry, draining soil and amazingly often a whole new set of roots will appear in a few weeks.

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 12:05PM
paul_(z5 MI)

As others have said, generally easy rooters.

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 12:49PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I haven't necessarily found it easy to re-root Haworthias which have lost their roots. My best success w/ it seems to be using pure pumice, not mix. I mostly use the offsets.

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Pest and diseases in Aloes (photos?)
Hi everyone, Can anyone refer me to a website or a...
juper
Can you please name the exact variety of this cactus (Qatar)
Many YouTube videos and articles say cactus is good...
maufie123
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
So how about this jade?
I bought this as Crassula obliqua variegata; the leaves,...
marguerite_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™