Dahlia seed

proudgm_03(6 MO)October 19, 2008

I noticed that this forum doesn't have an exchange page. I just grew my first dahlia's from seed and have fallen in love with them. Even though I hate having to dig up tubers of any kind they are going to be a must have for my garden. Does anyone have any seeds they would like to trade for other types of seed. I have lots of seeds on my trade page but only have dahlia seed from an unknown yellow one. Just email me if interested. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2008

Just be aware that dahlias from seed most likely won't look like your yellow unknown one. Dahlias don't come back true to the parent from seed- too many gene combinations- & if you grow any open centered ones they will dominate.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 8:14PM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

My yellow dahlia is an open centered dahlia. The parent plant probably being CG Charm or Beaucoup Amis from the looks of it. It really doesn't matter to me whether or not they come true to the parent plant. I'm not really into the flower/plant name game, just into growing beautiful flowers.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 5:21PM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

FWIW, what you have looked at and enjoyed was the result of someone caring about the flower/plant name game. You may not care, but if all of us didn't, you wouldn't have what you have...and, you may not have it next year, because people aren't caring about the flower/plant name game.

I don't mean to sound negative, but we aren't simply harvesting some naturally growing beauty here. Knowing a little bit about genetics helps a whole lot...or else we'll be here 3 years from now trying to explain to someone you've given tubers to as to why they don't look anything like your description now.

I here portulaca is nice?

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 7:59PM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Well, Russ, I'm glad there are people like you in the world. No need to get on your high horse. I do know a little about genetics and open pollination and I find crosses to produce some very interesting combinations. I was just stating that I grow my garden for enjoyment and not so that I can say I have an original so and so. It so happens that I have posted on my exchange page that all plants are open pollinated and that sometimes you get what mother nature creates. People who understand that and enjoy crosses like me are the only type of people I trade with. Perhaps you should cross some of your dahlias. You might actually enjoy what you get.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™