Half and Half Serano

steve22802(7a VA)October 4, 2012

Does anyone have an explanation for a flower that is half one color and half another? It's not the whole plant, just one or two flowers that have appeared over the course of the whole season. The rest of the flowers on this plant are the normal speckled Serano pattern.

Also, another clue in the mystery is that there is a dahlia right beside this Serano dahlia that is also labeled Serano but the flowers on it are 100% red, like the left half of the flower in the picture. Both plants came in the same package labeled Serano from Lowes. I'm guessing that the solid red was a parent of Serano and that there is a bit of reversion going on in this one bud.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I can't give you an answer, but that sure s cool looking.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 9:23PM
Noni Morrison

I have found that this happens a lot about this time of year.
My "Hollyhill 6 in 1" went tosolid red with one white tip from a yellow varigated one. Today I picked a "Wyn's New Pastel" that was a pinky carmel gold with 3 pastel pink petals at the bottom. Most likely the dahlia will return to being its usual color next year...unless it truly has created a sport. I think you have to cut the tissue where the sport is and propagate from that to preserve it.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 12:22AM
davidinsf

MANY grower sites I have visited will tell you that a lot of bi-colors will pull one way or the other on a whim. Check out "Rebeccas World" dahlia - it may pull all crimson and little white or all white and no crimson and of course it is supposed to be half and half.

Have had the same thing happen to me on several dahlias in my yard. Next year I am going to try Court Jester from Hollyhill. It is said it will also pull more white or red depending upon ???? There is no rhyme nor reason to whether it goes all one color or the other - they just do.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 12:23AM
ptpulley(8b Western WA)

I have several Purple Splash in my garden. Most of produce all variegated flowers like they are supposed to be, but one plant has lots of flowers that are completely or heavily purple colored. It's very interesting.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
Sponsored Products
Visual 4/5/6 Bath Bar by Illuminating Experiences
$151.20 | Lumens
Amba L Straight LS-40 Hardwired Towel Warmer - LSB-40
$768.00 | Hayneedle
Beige Half Full Smocked Pleated Shade 12x18x12 (Spider)
Lamps Plus
Kichler Cylinder Polished Nickel 14" Wide Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Mushroom Faux Silk Taffeta Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120
$75.95 | Bellacor
Red Cedar Folding Travel Table
Fifthroom.com
Red Half Umbrella
Cost Plus World Market
Nova Half Moon Table Lamp with White Shade
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™