Visit to Olallies in Vermont last summer (photos)

celeste(zone 4 NH)January 26, 2012

My husband and I took a motorcycle trip to Olallies in Vermont last July and I memorialized it with loads of photos that I've been saving to share over the winter. It was sweltering hot (in the 90's) that day so we were pretty much the only people there. Fortunately for my DH, they have lots of places to sit and cool off under umbrellas so that's where he stayed while I wandered around with my camera and notebook. I had never been to Olallies before, and even though their cultivars are on the simple side, it was a beautiful sight to see so many daylilies bursting with color. I could only purchase one daylily since we were on the motorcycle but I did take lots of photos. It was dug for me and we put it in the saddlebag with the tops peeking out...LOL. DH couldn't wait to get going home and the cool air on the 3-hour trip home on the bike felt good.

I wish I had been able to go back in the late summer to see their late-bloomers in bloom but we couldn't get away.

I know many of you, like myself, are mostly interested in their late bloomers. I ended up ordering some and will share their photos when they bloom this Aug/Sept. Thanks to Rita for turning me on to late-bloomers to extend my season.

Celeste

DH taking a nap in the shade while I wander around....

Now for photos of some of their cultivars that were blooming in July.....

VT Early Revival

VT Burgundy Star

Olallie Lady

VT Huge Yellow

VT Magenta Rose

Olallie Cheryl

VT Maddie's Magenta

I have so many more photos that I will have to do it in another post. (To be continued...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

Oh How Wonderful, daylily blooms to see.I would love to step in a place like that with so many blooming daylilies blooming, o see. I love that BURGUNDY STAR, gorgeous bloom, and thank you for taking the time to snap all the pictures and placing them here for us to injoy too, with you.

Jean

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 11:01PM
celeste(zone 4 NH)

Jean, thank you for commenting. We just got an ice and snow storm overnight so it seems like a million years ago that I wandered around that beautiful garden. It was so hot that day, but I would take some of that warmth right now! It was truly a treat to be amidst all those beautiful flowers. I had saved the pictures for sharing in the winter, since I knew they would be appreciated more because we'd all be starving for beauty.

Celeste

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 10:35AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Beautiful! I really love all the senic garden shots and views. It really is a shame that you could not get back for the late bloomers but seeing lots of daylilies like this is always fun no matter what. That first one, VT Early Revival is my favorite of the closeups. Thanks so much for sharing!

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 2:11PM
katlynn719(8b)

Celeste, It looks like heaven to me! It would be hard for me to leave a place like that...no matter how hot is was. Thanks for posting -
Kathy

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 6:39PM
mantis__oh

I like the pink and white one in picture 6. The forest backdrop is lovely. What was once eschewed as "old fashioned" (taller scapes and narrower segments) has now returned as fashionable, though with more refinement.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 11:40AM
Maryl zone 7a

Perfect time to post sunny daylily fields. thanks for posting your visit.....Maryl

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 4:54PM
Julia NY(6)

I was holding off viewing your two threads on the topic. I figured I'd savor each of them LOL.

Nothing more enjoyable than viewing all the color.
Thanks for sharing. Now, I'll wait a few days and view the other thread. Got to stretch out the viewing.;-).

Julia

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
NOIDS! The last alphabet post!
This has been fun! Now alot of us have to wait for...
sherrygirl zone5
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™