A brief potter on the first day of the year.

flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)January 1, 2013

Well, the sun came out today after days of gloom and rain so we managed a muddy walk in the country and lunch in a pub garden. Had the roof down driving back!

Then I wandered out into the garden to do a bit of tidying up. Cut back some Clematis. Swept up some leaves. Cursed the slugs already nibbling the bulb shoots.

Beginning to see some signs of spring. Flowers buds on the Hellebores and Chaenomeles. Winter flowering honeysuckle blooming with a dopey bumble bee doing the rounds. Snowdrops coming up.

Tomorrow and the rest of the week the forecast is more rain and gloom. But what a difference a drop of sunshine makes to your mood.

Anyone else had New Year's Day in the garden?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Happy New Years everyone. I have a gang coming for the annual beef dip get-together. I never know how many are coming until they actual arrive. Sooooo, I cooked a large Baron of Beef, a eight pounder this year, have lots of fresh buns from the bakery, two big salads, Greek and a Caesar and for dessert frozen lemon mousse. This is buffet style everyone serves themselves. The liquid refreshment consists of coffee tea or....

As far as the garden goes DH and I tied up a very floppy hydrangea when we came home from getting a few groceries but that's it. It's foggy and damp outside, so couldn't get too enthusiastic about doing anything else.

Annette

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 4:42PM
valree3(Nv zone 4)

Not much going on in my garden today. The morning temp was -15 with 10" of snow but it has warmed up to a balmy 14 this afternoon! I've been inside with hot chocolate and garden seed catalogs. Today has been a really nice start to the new year. Wishing everyone a Happy New Garden Year!

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 5:07PM
chloeasha

I did the same kinds of things. I keep wandering out the door and trimming dead things back that don't care about having protective covers of leaves. Trimming spent pansy blooms and violas left and right. Cut back the hedychiums that have finally frozen some.

I have several newly planted bulbs which are very confused about their time of year. I have 3 snowdrops which came up and have put up buds-- but not opened. I'm hoping they can hold on for another month or so until it is time for them. They've stood still for 2 months now, so that may be a possibility.

I had a few spring-blooming violets bloom out last week in confusion as well. That's fine. It was a cheerful surprise.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 6:47PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Barely made it to 20*F (-7*C) so I stayed in and watched college football games.

But it was sunny.

tj

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:30AM
More Discussions
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Horsetail Reed Rethink
I planted horsetail reed in the ground on purpose today...
cenepk10
HAVE: Weeping Willow & Tortured Willow Cuttings
I am rooting Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica) cuttings. I...
sweetannie4u
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Random Weekend Trivia
Good morning cottagers, Grey and blustery out this...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Chesapeake Outdoor Hanging 24 Inch In Black -Antique Rust
$264.10 | Bellacor
Orlando Teak Round Dining Table Set
Signature Hardware
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Fun Rugs Rugs Night Flash Collection
$59.97 | Home Depot
Roxy Aged Brass and Mercury Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Thermostatic Shower System, 8 Round Rose & Arm, Handset & Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
6pc Cookware Set - John Pawson - Demeyere
$1,095.00 | HORNE
GlideRite 1.5-inch Oil Rubbed Bronze Round Birdcage Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Lily Pendant by LBL Lighting
$232.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™