Question about dividing re-sprouting clumps

steve22802(7a VA)October 24, 2012

I have a couple clumps of dahlias where the big main stem broke off in late summer due to storm damage. The clump then sent up many smaller sprouts. I dug one of these clumps in order to divide it now that the end of the season is here but there were lots of sprouts everywhere. It obviously helped me to identify where eyes are located but I also had to break off the sprouts. How will this affect the tuber next season? Will they re-sprout from the same eyes? Will I get multiple sprouts from tubers? Some of the eyes already seemed to be generating multiple sprouts from the same eye.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

Any sprouts should be snipped off. You want to store them with no roots or sprouts. They will sprout again in the spring.

I have a similar situation with some of my tubers. We had a hard enough frost to kill the plants, but since then it has been quite a bit warmer so they are making another try.

I have some "eyes" or the start of new sprouts on the lower areas of stems, which I have never seen before in the fall. Those I will just cut off and toss.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™