I need help with a dilemma!
I've got a dilemma and I'm sure someone on the Forum can help. It's the weather!
But really, I'm sure most of you have been experiencing the whacky world of "climate change"! I live in zone 5a in Central New York State and last year we had our first hard frost in Nov.. Sept. generally seems to be the more norm with by the middle of Oct running a close second.
But taking in Dahlias in Nov as I did last year waiting for a frost can be a bit of a pain. I'd just a soon start today but most of the plants are flourishing.
So my question - Last week ago today it was in the Hi 80's. Today we'll barely get out of the 50's. I don't expect to see the 80's again and we might have a 3 or 4 day spell of 70's yet to come.
What I'd like to do is this; If the weather looks to be continuing more seasonal next week I'd like to start cutting down at least my taller 4' and higher plants to about 12" from the ground and pulling the stakes etc. Can I safely wrap the opened stems loosely with a plastic garbage bag as not to let any moisture (in the form of rain or wet snow) enter the stems hole and then rot the tuber? I've never tried it before?
Between my taller plants and my boarder Dahlias I've got close to 200 or slightly more, so I think you can understand my wanting to get something going.
I really appreciate your help.