Old Tangerine tree producing very small fruit.

DillyWillyNovember 23, 2012

My Grandpa has the best tangerines ever. I usually enjoy them every winter. However, recently I saw his tree and the fruit began very late this year and now the fruit is very small, only marble size. This tree has always been the best producing tree and he has not done anything differently this year. Any ideas what is going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, it depends on how old the tree is, Dilly, and how well the roots are holding out. Is he watering the tree regularly and fertilizing it regularly? If not, I would suggest he start doing both. Often citrus will survive for a time, but then start to decline if the tree isn't receiving enough nutrients and water, especially if the tree is older. You'd have to see if the tree has sustained any damage to the trunk or roots, or is suffering from some dieback, which can occur in older trees. Or, even a graft failure after a time. Without photos, it's just a guessing game for us. If you can provide us with good photos of the root area, trunk, a good close up of the trunk where the graft union is, the canopy, close up of the leaves, etc., we can try to answer this is a more educated way.

Patty S.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™