Rescued from certain death

karyn1(7a)December 22, 2011

At the hands of my Mom. I was at her house last night and saw this really cool looking plant. It was potted in what looked like a soggy mix of coir and peat and sitting on a shelf with almost no light. I know it's a grafted Euphorbia lactea cristata but what kind of euphorbia is it grafted onto? I was also wondering if the brown spot was the begining of rot or hopefully just some trauma?

before repotting in a proper mix.

These are the brown spots I was concerned about.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the brown spots in the third photo don't look like something to be concerned about (if you ask me). It doesn't look like a soft spot (rot), it looks more like someone or something bumped up against it and damaged the surface of the plant and it has since healed.

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wandering_willow(6 NYC)

Hey Karyn,

I have one of these, I think they are awesome looking! Nice of you to rescue it! I think the brown spots are just where some of it's little thorns were broken off and it healed and calloused over. Watch them and if they turn soft or spread you may have reason for concern, but I don't think it will be a big deal. Euphorbias seem to over-react a little and form big callouses for little wounds, mine do at least...

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Lithops, Hawthoria, Fenestraria, and Pleiospilos
I rode over to Home Depot and bought these four plants...
bouldergrower
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Help needed with cutting
Hey guy I have a neighbour who has this jade first...
Hamza Nobes
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Help me save these plants!!
I was just given a gorgeous succulent arrangement and...
Celeste Jackson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™