Why the white streaking???

patty_bOctober 18, 2008

This cactus dahlia was a solid dark red all summer long, but now is showing many with white mingled thoughout.

Does cooler weather change color and how common is this in dahlias? Thanks, Patty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhdahlialover

I haven't had any change that looks like that, but the cooler weather does change the color of some blooms. Some of mine were more vibrant while others almost seemed bleached. My reds were the bleached ones. Bright pinks were brighter.

-Katy

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 9:02PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Nice color change on a lovely bright red. I haven't seen such uniform change with the slowing of the season, but have the same fading or intensifying (especially brighter oranges) as Katy. Pinks get muted, yellows hold well, whites are white or cream, some purples fade a tone or two. Everything is smaller by far, but still fascinating.

If you were inclined, you could try to take a cutting from the branch with the white/red flower and preserve it over winter. I had a solid red bloom solid yellow mid-season a couple years ago, but did not successfully keep it.

I've seen white petals, or bright pink expressions show up on dahlias at this time of year, when not seen or expected on the flower at all. I blame it all on genetics and the shorter days. It's pretty, whatever you have!

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 11:33PM
pdshop(5)

My Peaches and Dreams (yes, Dreams) turned yellow as well. Lovely flower though. I find the later ones didn't have the same intensity.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 8:04AM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

I had something very similar happen with my A La Mode. It is a bronze flower with white tips, but the first few were fairly wierd, like this:

It was supposed to look like this:

It has something to do with the genes of the plant and it trying to revert to its dominant original flower...I think.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™