bringing in lemon tree with leaf miners

olive51(7)November 17, 2012

I want to bring in my meyer lemon trees for the winter, and was planning to begin acclimating them to the indoors, when I discovered that they have leaf miners. I have sprayed twice with Spinosad-one week apart, and plan to spray several more times, also one week apart. At what point can I bring the lemon trees in and not have bugs in the house?

My trees are in large pots and each one is about 30" high (without the pot). I appreciate any advice that anyone can give. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
citrange2

"not have bugs in the house"
Why worry?
Live or dead, leafminer larvae stay in the citrus leaves.
Adults are really tiny moths that only live around citrus (and related) species, and aren't going to do any harm to anyone or anything else in your house.
You're probably bringing in more 'bugs' in the soil in the pots, and you will certainly have more dangerous things in your cupboards than a few remaining tiny moths flying near your potted citrus!

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

And, they are very short-lived, and will not infest any other houseplants, olive. You're fine. Squish the little larvae in the leaves (if they're still alive), and no moths will hatch. You can also treat once with Bayer Advanced Citrus & Fruit Tree and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you prefer to treat with Spinosad, combine it with Volk oil, and begin your spraying in the spring, BEFORE you see pest pressure. Check with your local ag agent to know when to start. It is different in varying areas of our citrus growing areas in the United States. Prevention is the key with Spinosad and CLM.

Patty S.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Advice on pruning lemon
Hello all. I have a lemon tree (pictured) that was,...
mattlody
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™