Cut flowers...

susanan_gwOctober 22, 2006

Now that the season is over(at least in New England)I was wondering if some of you could suggest varieties that produce the best crop of cut flowers.I had several plants covered with flowers, but the stems were too short for arrangements. Any ideas for next year are greatly appreciated. Susanan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

I am asuming you want smallish ones for bouquets- not AA's so I'll go with some of my favorites that bloom non-stop all season & all with long enough stems to have nice cut flowers. However, you have to be aware that you have to disbud any dahlias a certain amount to get a nice cut-flower stem. You just pop off the 2 side buds of each central stem & you'll get a good sized stem on just about any dahlia.
White- Arctic Frost; Pink- Chimmacum Katie or Valley Porcupine- this one is so cute & lasts a full week+ as a cut flower; dark - almost black- Shadow Cat or Rip City; hot pink- Camano Electra or Pretty in Pink. (And of course- there's the old standby- Chilson's Pride that will put out a ton of blooms- it's pink with a white center - we don't grow it any more but it is a good cut flower.) I cut at least 40 blooms a day off of these plants & the color combo is GREAT- we have a couple of plants of each one at our son's place-- way away from the AA seed parents!

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 11:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heidi41(z5 Mass)

Suzanan: I use the Karma series for cutting. They are specially bred for cutting, long sturdy stems. I planted 50 mixed ones last year and I am still n the process of dividing them. The plants continuously produces all summer and fall. These were a HOT seller at our Farmers Market. Good luck. HEIDI

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™