Agave learning opportunity?

TT, zone 5b MADecember 1, 2013

Hi -

I have had two agave seedlings succumb to a similar 'disease'...so, in the spirit of using this as a learning opportunity, I was hoping someone could identify what went wrong here. If it is cultural, I would like to correct it. But, I have many other agaves receiving similar treatment for years, and they are doing quite well.

The plant went downhill fast. Started with the older leaves, bu the newer ones quickly succumbed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It looks like a athracnose fungal infection. Here is a discussion with some recommendations. I have had healthy agaves shipped to me and then when I open them and plant them, they get an immediate infection. Some agaves are more sensitive than others and I think the humidity and rain do set it off. I have used both Bayer advanced 3 in one stuff and Draconil and copper. I am thinking of changing the soil and starting anew in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Athracnose discussion.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:21PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Agave Utahensis ssp. ? I find they rot just by looking at water. However, the leaves are roting from the terminal spine back so I'm not sure.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:21PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

All those Utahensis die in time . I have given up on them. Sigh.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:23PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Very good reading Mara, not sure how I missed that thread. Funny how peroxide got mentioned. I use that on my palms that have crown rot. And my parryi group is another major group that does suffer. Usually the variegated ones like sunspot and excelsior. Other groups to keep an eye out for are colorata, gentry, applanata, shawii, deserti, and gracilipes. Specially after having nearly 60" of this year.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:34PM
TT, zone 5b MA

Hi -

Thanks for the information, all. I believe it was parryi, not utahensis. I believe they were both parryi. I already tossed the plant and soil, choosing not to deal with it. Is there any risk to neighbors? Everyone else in my collection looks pretty good right now.

Tom

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes, I would spray them and drench them to be safe. I deal with them outdoors so I would take what jeff and others that grow them indoors say over me. I would only drench them slightly and when they are pretty dry.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™