Fireworks Dahlia Seed

maxyckNovember 17, 2012

In early March of this year I grew 12 Fireworks dahlias from a packet of mixed colors. But all of the plants produced either plain yellow or yellow with the occasional red stripe flowers. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Wondering if anyone could explain this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

The only explanation I can give is that Dahlias are notoriously unpredictable from seed due to a high occurrence of genetic mutation. If you want reliable flower colors grow them from tubers or cuttings.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:10AM
john3(7a)

My feeling is unless the company's seed catalog or web site states that there's a high probability of plain/non-variegated flowers, you have a right to contact them to voice your disappointment(pleasantly, though) in their stock and your results. Usually you see mentioned that there's a 10% or other chance you'll obtain solid colors from such packets; your results are out the realm of acceptance. I would think that the 'Fireworks' growers would have weeded out plain-colored offspring to better guarantee one's success. Let the company know about your outcome, and they may send you a replacment packet free to test this coming year. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 2:07PM
maxyck

I did contact the company; they said the seed they bought from the supplier must not have been mixed very well. They gave me a refund. I was very pleased with their response. Thanks to both of you for you opinions and advice. Maxcy

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™