Fireworks Dahlia Seed

maxyckNovember 17, 2012

In early March of this year I grew 12 Fireworks dahlias from a packet of mixed colors. But all of the plants produced either plain yellow or yellow with the occasional red stripe flowers. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Wondering if anyone could explain this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

The only explanation I can give is that Dahlias are notoriously unpredictable from seed due to a high occurrence of genetic mutation. If you want reliable flower colors grow them from tubers or cuttings.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:10AM
john3(7a)

My feeling is unless the company's seed catalog or web site states that there's a high probability of plain/non-variegated flowers, you have a right to contact them to voice your disappointment(pleasantly, though) in their stock and your results. Usually you see mentioned that there's a 10% or other chance you'll obtain solid colors from such packets; your results are out the realm of acceptance. I would think that the 'Fireworks' growers would have weeded out plain-colored offspring to better guarantee one's success. Let the company know about your outcome, and they may send you a replacment packet free to test this coming year. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 2:07PM
maxyck

I did contact the company; they said the seed they bought from the supplier must not have been mixed very well. They gave me a refund. I was very pleased with their response. Thanks to both of you for you opinions and advice. Maxcy

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™