Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs in zone 8

drthor(8)November 30, 2007

Do I lift my Dahlia bulbs? I am in zone 8 in Dallas (TX). Some people say yes, some say no. Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

I'd ask around at nurseries or among other dahlia growers, as you likely have already. If you have enough plants to run an experiment, why not lift some dahlias and mulch others for a little hibernation underground? I've had them survive in the ground in our freezing winters and feet of rainfall, so they can probably take whatever Dallas winters dish out.

Good luck!

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 11:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huey_ga(z7)

Running an experiment like Poochella suggests might be fun to try but you can lose tubers bringing them inside just as easy as outside if you don't take the correct precautions. I would just mulch them good 6"-8" of leaves or whatever you use to mulch. That should hold them for the winter and then if you want to divide them dig them up in early April and eyes will be showing and divide one eye with at least one tuber and replant when the soil is 70 degrees. Hold until that time in plastic grocery bags to keep the air from drying them out.

I talked to a grower from Ohio a few years ago that kept his tubers in the ground all winter using a cover of leaves about 18" thick to keep them from freezing.

Check out the DS of Georgia newsletters at our website for growing dahlias in the South.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Society of Georgia

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Lumens needed for starting pots indoors ?
Looking to put together a simple indoor T5 lighting...
dan1018
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Hand-hooked Chelsea Tabriz Black/ Ivory Wool Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Brushed Nickel Island Pendant
$371.80 | Bellacor
Bulb Bright Chandelier
| Dot & Bo
FJ LED ISO 50 Deg 27K 80CRI
Lightology
Matte Silver Wall Sconce 2-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Bishop Dahlia Garden Torch
$49.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™