First Grapefruit Picked

DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)December 24, 2012

A grapefruit (ruby red) was accidently knocked off my tree. I decided to taste it. It was pretty sour. I am guessing that it is not ripe yet. My question is: How do you tell when the fruit of the ruby red is ready to eat? I have read on this forum that it is best to pick occasionally and taste. But, can you go by the color of the rind? I will attach a picture of the cut fruit showing the inside and the rind color. This tree was planted a year ago last month and has about 10 fruits on it this winter. I believe the ripening season is Dec to June. Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)

rind

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 12:28AM
DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)

Tree. Taken Sept. 2012

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 12:46AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I'm not as familiar with Ruby Red (I have Rio Red), but I think you still have a month or two to go, for the beginning of peak ripeness here in California. My Rio Red grapefruits are not coming into ripeness until February through June. And no, you cannot always rely on citrus skin coloring up. For the most part here in S. California, the skil will get fully colored by the time the fruit is ripe. But, if we have prolonged warm nights, you can still have a little green on the skin. Not so prominent with later citrus (like grapefruit), as they ripen when we tend to get our colder evenings, which helps to color up the skin. Patience, Grasshopper. You still have at least a couple of months to go to peak ripeness.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citry Variety Collection: Rio Red Grapefruit

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™