Nagami Kumquat, barely any fruit

scuzzynuttyDecember 12, 2010

Hi,

I have a Nagami Kumquat tree, I transplanted it into around a 15 gallon pot or so and it's growing OK i think. The tree isn't super young, the trunk is about the diameter a circle you make with your thumb and first finger.

This summer, there were tons of flowers, it flowered twice, with well over 100 flowers each time. But now, there are only about 10-12 actual fruit on it. I noticed too that in the summer, some of the branches died, they turned brown and were brittle. I cut those off.

Talked to a guy at the nursery today and he said I didn't fertilize it enough (I think i only did it twice with some of those Jobe's citrus fruit spikes. I just crushed a little and sprinkled it on top and then watered it).

I've seen smaller kumquat trees at the store with 50+ fruits on it.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Thanks a lot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Not enough nutrients, probably ;)

That's what I started thinking before I'd even finished the second paragraph of your post.

Secondly, I would ditch those Jobe's spikes...

Get a balanced fertilizer, preferably one with all the micro nutrients, as well.

What kind of potting mix are you using? That can have a major impact on health/fruiting.

Josh

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 10:34PM
scuzzynutty

Oh, those Jobe spikes are no good?

Do you have a brand of fertilizer you can recommend?

I have EXPERT All-Purpose plant food. 24-8-16. Is that considered fertilizer or just plant food?

For potting mix, I transplanted the tree into a bigger pot with the existing soil and if i can remember, I used a mix of cactus mix and miracle gro potting soil. However, the miracle gro i used was for indoor plants and it didn't have the small styrofoam balls. I realized i used the wrong soil after the fact :(

Any further advice?

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 4:01AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The All-Purpose plant food sounds good.
fertilizers with a 3:1:2 ratio are very close to ideal.
The only thing to consider are the micro-nutrients - and mostly Calcium.
If you switch your potting mix to a bark-based soil, you can add Dolomitic Garden Lime
for the Calcium (and to raise the pH).

I wouldn't use either Cactus or Miracle Grow soil - both are mostly peat moss, which holds way
too much moisture to be of any use.

A good starting soil mix would be 5 parts bark, 1 part perlite, and 1 part Cactus soil -
with 1 tablespoon of Lime per gallon of soil.

Josh

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™