Dug them up today, but was it too early?

HighlanderNorthNovember 17, 2011

Today I dug up the 7 dahlias that were in the ground and not in pots.

I expected the tubers to be a medium/dark brown color, but instead, they are all a light tan color. There is no rot and they are firm, but I'm wondering whether I dug them up too early?

I had repeatedly read that I should "wait 10-14 days after the first hard frost, or til mid-November to dig them up"

So, 3 weeks ago, on Oct 26, they were calling for a frost warning, but a low temp of 35 deg F, but I never saw any evidence of frost. Then 2 days later, the temp dropped into the 30's, and we got 2" of heavy, wet snow which caused several of the branches to break. Then , the next night, they were calling for a low temp of 24 deg F! So, I checked the 24 hour cable weather channel at 1am, and they said it was 24deg F at that time. They take the weather measurements

in town about 15 miles from where I live.

So, the next morning, I go out to look at the plants, thinking that they will be all wilted, with blackish-green leaves.....But, they were all still light green, and my Zinnias were too. They still had brightly colored flowers on them. 1 week later, I was over at my Mom's home, about 10 miles from my house, and I noticed that her Zinnias had been zapped by frost, because they were all brown, and their flowers were straw colored, and just 1 week earlier, their flowers were bright yellow. But mine were still brightly colored.

So, 6 days ago, I went out and noticed that many of my dahlias' leaves were now wilting and blackish-green, and they were not that way the day before. So I figured we finally had a frost the night before.

So today, I decided to finally dig them up, because it is now mid-November.

But, as I said, the tubers are very light colored, and I assumed that they should be darker brown.

So, is it normal for them to be this color, or did I dig them up too early?

I already washed them off and set them out to dry 3 hours ago.

Will I need to bring them back out and bury them in a hole for another week or so?

Thanks.......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

They will be fine, no need to rebury. I've grown dahlias for about 20 years (not a lot of varieties, only a handful) and mine have always been a tan color, I think I'd be worried if they were brown.

tj

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

I concur. Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™