tubers not producing clump - how come????

digsdahlias(z8WA)November 12, 2006

Hi there, well just finished digging and what a disappointment!! This year about half my tubers did not form a clump like they normally would. They just had the mother tuber and maybe a couple very small new tubers. I've never experienced this before. Of course, this year I moved and started a new dahlia bed. The ground is very shallow - hard pan about 4 inches down. Any ideas what's caused this poor tuber production?? And any thoughts on whether I should save the mother tuber and try it again next year or just start over? I usually discard the original tuber, but hate to lose some of my favs.

Hope you're all almost done digging out there!! Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

Poor soil conditions. Amend your new bed big time. Dig it deeper & put in lots of organic material. Fertilize the plants with an all purpose 10-20-20 or something like that twice- once when planting & once in July. Make sure it's draining properly- where's all the rain going in that hardpan? You might consider raising the bed- sometimes easier than digging up hardpan.
Keep the mother tuber- if she's in good shape & has an eye she'll grow again next year- keep her separate from the others so if she rots she doesn't rot the new ones - & vice versa.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 11:04PM
digsdahlias(z8WA)

thanks -- you're right about the water, where does it go? It puddles up and sits for awhile and doesn't drain down thru', 'cause of the hardpan - I'm surprised actually I didn't have a whole bed of rotten ones!! Will have to start amending the bed when I get the raised bed built -- hated to move, my last dahlia bed had wonderful soil, built up from compost over 10 years, wish I could have brought it with me. Where about's your farm - do you open it to the public in summer? Kathy

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 12:05AM
plantlady2(NW Washington)

We're east of Ferndale, WA - about 13 miles south of the Canadian border. Yes, we do let people come & look at our gardens in summer as long as they call ahead & let us know they're coming so someone can be here to show them around.

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™