Poochella

Noni MorrisonDecember 22, 2006

Are you still without power from the windstorm? I am wondering how your dahlias are doing without electic heat? Hope they have not frozen! Notice I am more worried about your dahlias then you? That is the right priority isn't it?

We had a lot of trees uprooted from their waterlogged soil, as well as madronas shattered through the woods, but the gardens seem fine (except for a "Summer Wine" rose that covered an arbor and my front porch). Arbor needs to go to the copper arbor hospital . Summer WIne is in the great plant hospital and will have a long recovery period.....looks like a victim of inebraited driving winds to me!

Liza

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Hi Liza, We managed to stay warm and fed if not esthetically pleasing in appearance during the 5+ days without electricity. We lost 3-4 trees well away from the house or driveway, so no big deal. Next year's firewood. From the sounds of it, Mercer Island and Woodinville bore the brunt. (Christine R- are you back online yet?) I hear Vashon got hit pretty hard too and I'm glad you are relatively unscathed.

The tuber room was under careful scrutiny the first two nights without power: temps down to 26 here but the room remained at freezing or above. Believe me, I was ready to pack them all into our chilly basement, if needed; but they are fine. Not so my jam-packed chest freezer and second fridge full of food! What a hateful job to unload all the rotten stuff. I refuse to get a generator, preferring to rough it for the very few times we lose power for an extended period. (Ask me this again after I pack up the rotten fish, meat, poultry in the garage...) We refroze it to hopefully make it a more palatable task :(

Glad you're okay- just a little reminder from Mother Nature that we aren't as in control as we'd like to think.

Enjoy your holiday and the glistening lights, if you still have them!

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™