Need help from Kumquat experts.

kodo2988December 21, 2012

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a Fukushu Kumquat from Home Depot that was on its last leg and in fact it was the only one alive out of a whole crate (the people forgot about them in the back of the garden center apparently >_However it looks different from my other Fukushu Kumquat since the healthy one that I have doesnt have those little mini looking thorns but it could be just new growth I cant tell. I just cant tell if the Citrange C root stock that it says its grafted onto took over. I took some pictures. Does anyone know if this is still a Fukushu Kumquat? Since one sides leaves look larger than others and on my current one. I just dont know. Take a look anyone thanks. I'll try to upload more than one pic if this lets me (first time).

This post was edited by kodo2988 on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 0:25

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kodo2988

2nd pic

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 2:59AM
kodo2988

3rd pic

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 3:04AM
kodo2988

and lastly here is the 4th picture

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 3:08AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Just saw your post, trim away the dead branches and don't worry about the thorns. Nearly all young citrus, even "thornless" varieties, have thorns in their youth. This a citrus tree's natural protection from predators, who would like to eat the tender young leaves and branches. As your kumquat matures, the thorns should diminish. Good for you to save this little tree.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 12:00PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

I'm curious as to how to keep the branches from dying. Any nutrients that need to be added?

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 1:48PM
kodo2988

Thanks Patty for the info!

Wildforager, it just needs to be watered on a regular basis. The people at Home Depot near me forgot to water them for who knows how long. It should pop back after getting some good ole water. It was bone dry when I got it

This post was edited by kodo2988 on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 0:25

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 3:26PM
newtoucan

Which lowes did you go to? The only kumquats that I see sold here in Phoenix are the negami variety. How is the taste of your variety. I'm looking for Meiwa variety which are not available here.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 4:03PM
kodo2988

Now that I think about it, it was actually Home Depot (I updated the post just to clarify). Doh!!
It was the one near the Cardinals stadium. gosh me and my bad memory. However I did pick up a few normal sized Fukushu Kumquats that were fruiting back when they had the bigger ones instead of the "patio citrus" types. So far only one has ripened at it was pretty sweet. There are a few more that have yet to ripen on my healthy ones. Though I am most likely going to take this one back for a refund and get a dwarfed mandarin which I remember seeing they had in stock and a lot more healthier/more leaves.

This post was edited by kodo2988 on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 0:31

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Avacado planted
Planted this darling in a 511 mix, next day I get this...
cjlopez04
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
Sponsored Products
22-Inch Square Blue Jay and Peach Cream Patterned Linen Pillow Cover with Poly I
$67.80 | Bellacor
SunPak Stainless Steel Heater with Glossy Black Fascia Trim - S25 S BKT NG
Hayneedle
Dean Martin Engraved Signature Shadowbox
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Box of Three Wedding Flower Scented Soaps
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Castana Silver Two-Light Outdoor Wall Mount Fixture
$59.95 | Bellacor
Habitat 02 Black Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft.
$399.00 | Bellacor
Armen Living Troika Bonded Sofa - LC3093WHITE
Hayneedle
Bellosguardo Striped King Blanket - BROWN STRIPES (KING)
$229.90 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™