dahlia growing again after frost

playinthedirt13December 4, 2006

I have a dahlia that I planted next to the garage that was killed when the frost came through like a month and a half ago, but even when it was killed, it looked kinda alive for a week afterward so I didn't dig it up. I have been coming and going and forgot about the dahlia, until I went outside the other day and noticed it was growing again. The strangest part is it was 36 degrees out at the heat of the day. Is this some kind of mutant dahlia? It bloomed late, but I also planted it late and when the frost killed it originally, it was over 5 ft tall with 40+ buds on it, I had it tied to a 7 ft piece of wood for a stake! I don't know a whole lot about gardening and I just gave it a little bit of fertilizer when I planted it (because I planted it sooo late) but it was just some fertilizer we have sitting around, nothing special. I dunno, maybe it's all normal, I just thought they weren't supposed to get that big (almost taller than me and I'm 5'10) What do I do about the dahlia? Do I dig it up or wait and see if the frosts kill it again(so far they are unsucessful)? Please, help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Next to the garage, it might be benefitting from radiated heat and could very well survive your winter. Don't know your locatation except zone 7. You could cut off the growth and protect the remaining stalk, if hollow, from moisture that might enter. Mulch over the area about 18 inches diameter x 6 inches deep with straw, compost, leaves, ferns- whatever you have to protect the tubers from excess cold and moisture.

If you do get deep prolonged freezing spells, you'd be better off digging up the clump (see any number of posts on digging and storing tubers) or read all about it at the link below.

Dahlias range from little shorties a 12-18 inches tall, to giants well over 6 ft. Many of mine here reach 5 ft even though the label says 4 ft tall. A couple topped 8 ft- (the overachievers.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging Dahlias

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 10:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
playinthedirt13

Thank you. I guess I just wasn't very used to a plant doing so well in the clay we have around here, especially a plant doing well in our yard. The other Dahlia I planted that survived only grew about 2 ft tall, guess I should move it over next to the garage!

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™