heat for cold frame

darkknightDecember 2, 2012

Will putting a big container of water
in cold frame give off heat at night

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
citrange2

Yes.
It will of course work better if it contains warm water to start with.
If temperatures are likely to fall below freezing, it will effectively give off heat until the water in the container is completely frozen. How effective this is depends on how well your cold frame is insulated - is it double-glazed? wooden or metal frame?
Finally remember that after a cold night, the water will now be at low temperature and therefore reduce the day-time maximum.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

I suppose success with this will be dictated by your location. This is the predominant source of heat for my house and many others here in Northern NM (except the heat storage is usually the cement slab, brick floor, etc...) because of the sunny climate. In the PNW, by the Great Lakes, in New England, and other regions, this is much less effective of course.

I have a metal rain catchment cistern in a SE exposure up against the house that rarely freezes and when it does never accumulates more than a few centimeters of ice, even in record -23 F cold. On the shady north side of the house I have had rain barrels freeze completely solid by the end of winter.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™