ugly grey narrow wall

greyandamyFebruary 17, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have one of those older brick houses in which on the south side they have the bottom 2 (or more?) feet of UGLY grey..concrete? NOt sure, not going out to look. Some of you are familar with these types of houses.

There's a narrow strip in front of the "ugly grey" wall (before it become bare brick) of about 7 feet wide, which includes measuring from the wall. (I know to plant out from walls for air circulation, whatever).

After this dirt strip of approx. 7 ft (max) out from house and 12 feet (approx)going along the house, there's about 2-3 feet of grass.

Then,even though it's the South side, my neighbors have a decidous hedge that they keep at maybe 5 feet so that does cast shade, it's still sunny and dry there but there's some shade too.

The soil is great, over 6 years as I've tried to figure out WHAT to grow there, I've ammended and added compost like nuts. But WHAT can I grow there???? Currently there's blue hollies but I figure they'll need moved again as they'll want to get a lot wider than that.

Obviously, it's DRY, as the rain doesn't hit the whole way to the wall (rain shadow) but I can irrigate, though I hope something would be somewhat/very drought tolerant once established.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've thought ornamental grass but ...

Thanks for any input!!! (Oh tomatoes grew well there, with daily watering...only thing is I personally hate tomatoes).

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splitrock

Blue hollies grow slowly and don't mind being pruned. You can keep them at less than five feet wide, if you like them. I think they are a lovely plant.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
Plant wilting
I bought this potted plant a couple of weeks ago and...
hilste
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
Wintering garden Oleanders
Due to the unbelievable mild winter last year my Oleander...
redlilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™