February and March Daylily care in the South??

ruthzFebruary 6, 2013

When do you start, how often and what product do you use to spray for thrips?

Most of my daylilies are evergreen. Is there anything else I should be doing now?
Last year I ended up cutting them all down to soil level due to something all over foliage. Looked like white sawdust. I first tried blasting them with the water hose and insecticidal soap, but it didn't get rid of them. Aphids maybe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

Yes, the white debris is from aphids. You don't have to cut them if they have aphids. There are various ways to get rid of the bugs. The white stuff looks ugly, but it shouldn't cause any damage. I think it's just their shed skins.

Nate

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachlily z9a

Last year I did my strong fertilizing on 1/29. Usually it's done in mid February. I'll do it next week I think. I use 6-6-6 plus a 9 month fertilizer plus a 3-mo palm fertilizer and whatever else I have on hand. This year I sported for a fertilizer that the pros use called MicroMax (expensive). It goes on 2 TBS per pot or per plant so that one will go on first. This big fertilization is meant to fulfill the needs of daylilies up to 9 mos.--Oct of this year when the weather cools down. I do it every year! The daylilies thrive and bloom from March or April through Sept. with this treatment. I've been spraying every 7 days for rust. I ran out of NickelPlus and may have to purchase it again. I baby those plants because I absolutely love their blooms. They are big a bold right now. Bloom season isn't far off!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™