Advice on what can replace cedar

Irishcelt9(z6 SW IL)February 25, 2004

We recently had to have a large cedar tree removed from our front yard and the area really looks bare. The tree removal company left cedar shavings all around. We would like to plant some type of ornamental grasses or other decorative shrubs/plants but are curious about whether or not having the cedar remnants will present any problem for other plants. We can of course rake the area but are not sure of how much was left in the hole when it was filled in etc. The area has an eastern exposure and gets full sun. Any suggestions on what to plant there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
giboosi_alttara(z6 CT)

The cedar might tie up nitrogen while it's fresh, or burn something newly planted if it comes into contact with it, but only if it's too thick a layer.

I would just pull the mulch away from the exact area in which you want to plant, plant what you want and water well, keeping the cedar chips out of contact with the plants. If the plants seem to be growing poorly, feed them with a liquid nitrogen fertilizer.

Bookmark   March 12, 2004 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Planting among dense roots
The fruitless mulberry, privets, and Japanese maple...
dlees
Foundation planting help
I posted a whole long message but I think it was lost....
lmich9
Report: Black Walnut Rose Plantings
Some months ago there was interest in what roses might...
Hawkeye_Belle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™