Milorganite?

brenda_near_eno(Z7a)March 21, 2005

I bought some of this granular fertilizer to use and wondered if anyone has experience with it? I hear it is made from processed sewerage and may have anti-deer properties? It smells a little industrial (not manure-y), but looks like fertilizer pellets (although my teenager refuses to spread it for me).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzyqute(z4 WI)

I used milorganite last year for deer protection, it does help, but needs to be re-applied after rain,or about 3-4 intervals. I applied it with a nursery flower pot, (filled and shake over /around plants to protect) its relative in-expensive Farm/fleet is cheapest (or a farm supply store) greenhouse=EXPENSIVE it also adds enough fertilizer that your plants are happy too !!
Suzy

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 6:21PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked. The deer have moved their browse path right away from my yard - haven't seen them in weeks. And it fertilizes great and can't burn.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 6:49AM
rudysmallfry(z6)

I personally can't stand the smell. It's pretty obvious where this stuff originates. Yuck!

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 11:36PM
terran(zone10/Sunset20 CA)

There is information available on the Internet with regard to the use of municipal sewage sludge. Do a search. Type in Illness + Milorganite .

http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1995Q3/sludge.html

Terran

Here is a link that might be useful: Let Them Eat Sludge

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 12:22PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Rudy, I'm mystified about you sniffer - to me it smells somewhat industrial, but not at all like sewerage. I read article and it looks like I'm good to go, since I'm not applying it to food crops. In fact, I'm happy to be doing my part to remediate some of this stuff that otherwise would go to yet more landfill. And the deer just hate it!

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 6:27AM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

I handled Milorganite at work (feeding shrubs and plants in a big nursery) with no problem. It has a vague sewerage smell, but nothing overpowering. I believe it is "baked" to sterilize its contents. It does have to conform to strict regulations since it involves...er... nightsoil.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 3:07PM
Suzinthecountry(z5 NY)

It is an excellent source of nitrogen so don't use it with fertilizer. I used it to try to ward off the deer with limited success this past year. Seems like it encouraged alot of weed growth.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 5:12PM
ptilda(3/4)

I'm trying this for the first time. We'll see how it works!

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 11:57PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

I'm still using it instead of fertilizer. It works, but it does wash away in a couple of rainfalls. Again, chemical smell only when I first shake it on everything. My deer will go to the neighbor's yard, and my newly unfurled hostas are not yet nibbled to the ground. Repurpose, re-use!

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 6:38AM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Wonder if it will deter squirrels and chipmunks?

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
Help Needed
I'm new to the forum and to coastal NC. We live on...
mynxr
VERY Wet Yard - Wanted, Water-Loving Plant Ideas
We purchased our 6 acre home in January of this year...
Zephyrhills
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™