Daylily photo lessons from the Alphabet Game
This daylily alphabet thing has certainly got me looking at my photographs with a more critical eye. I guess I am always in too much of a hurry when uploading photographs to Photobucket(not that it is a quick process) and I have noticed that many of my photos need more editing before uploading.
The first problem is that my photos are rectangular and many need to be cropped to a square. Is there any way to change the format of the photos you are taking with a camera or are they always rectangular and everyone needs to crop them?
Secondly I always take photos of my new daylilies the first year. Then I can see if I received the right plant-which doesn't always happen! It doesn't bother me but I want to identufy the plant I did get and a photo to send to the seller helps sort things out as quickly as possible. These first year photos all seem to have one bloom with lots of brown soil or mulch in the background-not too attractive! Trouble is I don't always go back another year to take a better photo with some nice green background. I am determined to do this this summer. I am just always busy hybridizing when I should be taking photos and so it is always a rush job.
Thirdly I try to keep a main database with one photo of each daylily I have. This is what I upload etc. from. I really need to edit the photos in this file better.
I have learned some really good lessons doing this. I thought I always spent alot of time on my photos(my husband certainly thinks so!) but seeing them daily as I post has showed me not enough!