How did you support your top-heavy aloe?

Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)December 6, 2011

My two largest aloes, an A. Ferox and an A. Marlothii, are getting really top heavy. I've helped keep them steady with a couple of rocks, but I'm wondering what will happen when they become massive and the winter rains loosed then soil. Has any one of you dealt with this successfully? Do you have any long term solutions?

This is the Marlothii, with it's roots becoming exposed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

How much are you watering?

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 2:49PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I water very little only between the months of June and October. I have a basin located off to the left of the photo to water the queen palm. I'm not sure that the aloe's roots can reach the basin since it's about 5 feet away. It's really plump from the last couple of rains

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 4:34PM
Beachplants(Z11)

If its planted deep enough and the roots are well developed it should not be an issue, its a 'single stem or sometimes called tree aloe".

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 9:35PM
cactusmcharris

It shouldn't be top-heavy, unless the roots haven't developed commensurate with the growth of the plant. At any rate....

Stake it - three of them with some firm-but-not-tight staying ropes/wire (wrapped by old garden hose, naturally) - will do the trick.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 11:49PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Thanks for the tips guys/gals! These aloes are getting to be a nice size, I'd hate to have one topple over.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 7:36PM
lzrddr(91360)

Aloe marlothiis are well known for falling over here in Southern California, but usually it's due to poor roots (over watering) or high winds. Recent wind storm in Pasadena knocked over a LOT of tree aloes at the Huntington Gardens, including half of a 30' tall Aloe barberae. Garden is partially closed for a long time now to clean up all the fallen trees.

The good thing about fallen Aloe marlothiis is they seem to take rerooting well.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 10:46AM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

Mine was in a pot. The head of mine was too big for the stem to support so it bent over. Roots had already formed above the break in the stem so I cut below the roots and repotted. The sides of the new pot support the head while the roots get going. I think I posted the whole sad story with pix here a few months back.
It looks unfazed by the experience.
Geez, it's always something!

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 3:02PM
desert_gardener(z9 AZ)

Had the same thing happen to my ferox, I was told to quit cleaning off the dead leaves as that is what helps stabilize the plant as it grows.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Wholesale cacti nurseries in AZ?
Hello- does anyone know of any wholesale cacti nurseries...
maark23 TX/8a
Inflorescence Bulbils
Yep. Pups on flower stems. Feel free to add your own:)...
hanzrobo
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Help! New to succulents and I think I have a pest!
Can you help me identify what this white stuff is on...
bbrich86
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™