Photo guide of deer-resistant plants?

almattMarch 30, 2009

I've found lots of text lists on the web of so-called "deer-resistant" plants, but I've struck out at finding a list that includes a picture of each type of plant, so my wife and I can pick out ones we'd want in the garden.

Does anyone know of a website that includes photos with their deer-resistant-plant list?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

High Country Gardens. Lady Bird Johnson Gardens.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 10:04PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I don't have a complete list, but I post photos of what I grow in my deer resistant garden. On my gardening blog, under Topics, select 'Deer resistant' from the list.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Defining Your Home Garden (my blog)

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 6:07PM
florrie2

Just browsing here today, but I looked at your blog, Cameron. It looks wonderful! I'd like my yard to look something like that. I have a shady yard, but a big hickory tree has died, so there will be more sun when it's cut down. I've been looking for some evergreen foundation plants to put around my house and have come up with pieris, gaultheria (shallon), leucothoe, daphne and mahonia. I'll do some perennials once the foundations are in, perhaps in the fall. I already have spirea, potentilla, monarda and fothergill which are almost totally deer resistant around here.

Thanks, Florrie

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 7:54AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Florrie -- did you see my story from a few days ago about growing plants in the lamiaceae family? A lot of the plants that are reliably deer-resistant in my garden are from that same plant family.

Glad you like the blog. I try to make the plant information helpful.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer in Your Garden? Meet the Lamiaceae Family

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 4:57PM
florrie2

I did see your blog, thanks. Another problem I have is other pests: rabbits in particular. They eat the obedient plant, so I have to cover it with wire. Another thing I noticed is that if a plant is rated "deer resistant" that means the deer won't eat the foliage, but what about the flowers? My "deer resistant" astilbe grows great, but the flowers get nipped, also liriope and rudbeckia.

Plus I have to 150+ lb dogs that like to lie in the freshly turned earth. I put up fences this year.

F

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 9:15AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Florrie -- I know what you mean-- the deer even nipped off lantana flowers last August. The flowers that are reliably deer resistant for me are the agastache, salvia, nepeta, verbena (homestead and the stick).

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
Shady spot in front of house - what plants will work?
I have a large mulched area in front of my home that...
laumaclandscape
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™