Photographing Daylilies

najoba(8b)February 21, 2012

Marianne Joordens has a link to her really good info on photographing daylilies on the robin. Here's a link to her website:

http://ezdaylilies.com/HowTo/Photography/Background.htm

I can't wait to try out her methods.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

Good info, I don't have anything to make a dark background, but there are other things I can try.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:27PM
mssunflower(7)

I went to the website and she does have a number of great ideas. However, she missed one that you might want to try. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a black piece of foam core board and put behind the plant. You do need to watch out for how the sun may throw shadows onto the board, but sometimes it just adds interest to the picture. I have attached a picture of Sunworshipper that I took last year using the foam core board. The picture is cropped down so you don't see the edges of the board but have a nice clean shot of the daylily. You can try different positions with the board as the background and this might save you from having to cut the bloom off of the plant.

Ms. Faith

PS: I really have enjoyed the pictures of daylilies on this forum.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:32PM
Nancy zone 6

I'll look for that. I have a new camera this year, I'm anxious to see how it does.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:45PM
najoba(8b)

The foam core board sounds promising, as I really don't have a dark background, save for the weathered gray board fence.

That's a good picture, Jeff! The dark background really makes the daylily stand out.

I have a Photoshop plug-in (not sure if it can be used with other photo-editing software or a stand alone) called Focal Blade which does a great job of sharpening up and clarifying photos. Those of you who use Photoshop might like to check it out.

I haven't used Focal Blade much as I still haven't gotten around to putting up a website. I doubt at this point if I'll ever have anything remarkable enough to sell. All but one of the beautiful seedlings I was so excited about last year died due to last year's disastrous summer.

Nancy

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:36AM
jclay321(Z6 NY)

I use Adobe Lightroom. I haven't used a lot of the editing tools other than cropping, but you can sharpen image and also improve overexposure.
Will start trying some of these soon.
-Jeff

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 7:09PM
pamghatten(wny5)

Thanks for the info on the black foam core board. I had read her info when she posted on the Robin, and looked around my wide open field where the majority of my daylilies are, and didn't see any "natural" way to have a black background.

I was thinking I needed to find something stiff that I could take into the gardens with me, and that will work wonderfully!

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 1:11PM
mssunflower(7)

Putting something behind your flowers was something that I had read about from several photographers that did flowers. One book that I have was written by a couple that was renowned for their pictures and were professional. They suggested using blue behind the flowers saying that it was complimentary to most flower colors and made the flowers stand out more.

Ms. Faith

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
Weather?
Off topic, just wanted to say I hope everyone is doing...
Nancy zone 6
Buying daylilies from the south
I placed an order for daylilies from a Florida seller....
KarenPA_6b
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™