orange tree taste

ralph31558(z8GA)December 5, 2012

I picked an orange from my tree and the taste is tart, the one i picked had no sign of green and i would think it was time to pick,did i pick it o early? i dont know the type of oranges it is producing but the tree is about 4 years old.When would i know when it is time to pick?
Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Skin color is not necessarily an indication of ripeness. Citrus skin will color up when citrus are exposed to cooler night temps. If you go to the tropics, you'll see the citrus all stay green or pretty much green. If you tell us the variety of orange, we can tell you about when it should be ripe. Wide variance from now until summer for different types of oranges. We need to know what cultivar you're growing.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:17PM
johnmerr(11)

You say you don't know what variety it is; but does it have a navel? Most navels really don't get ripe until about Christmas time; and the really really best are those left on the tree until late February when they will begin to "re-green". Most commercial growers will harvest a bit earlier to meet the Christmas market.
The other issue is the young age of your tree; oranges often do not produce the best quality fruit until 7-10 years; so don't dispair.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:33PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

as long as there is no danger of frost, leave the oranges on there longer. mine are ready around Christmas time. i have N33 navel and Blood Moro.

good website to help id your orange
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/oranges.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Citrus Home Fruit Production Oranges

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:01PM
foolishpleasure

I have Washington naval whatkind of taste do I expect?

Abe

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:40AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Washington Navels should be very sweet and very juicy. They are the "eating out of hand" orange. My Cara Cara are not quite ripe, yet, so I would wait just a few more weeks, then check.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™