Does anyone grow sweet peas? Which ones do you recommend?

gottagarden(z5 western NY)February 5, 2012

I've seen catalogs with dozens of different kinds. I thought I would grow some for their fragrance.

Can you recommend any particular ones?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

I just do multiples of all varieties that attract me. I tend to get use heritage types too.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 1:45PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Brenda, I have grown sweet peas since my very first garden and I don't think there is one I don't like. They are the ultimate cottage garden flower and have a scent to die for! Most varieties have the classic sweet pea scent from my experience. I like the rippled and bi colored for their showiness but nothing can beat the Spencer's for scent and size. Mollie Rilstone, Painted Lady and King Size Navy are among my favorites as well as the Streamers collection.

Swallowtail Seeds and Thompson & Morgan carry an impressive variety of sweet pea seeds. Fragrant Garden Nursery in Oregon is also a suppier you might try although I have not had experience with them myself.

You cannot be disappointed with sweet peas! They are heavenly! Just remember to plant early as they start best in cool weather. :)

Hope this helps.

Ginny

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 2:36PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

All Sweet Peas are divine! Pick the colors you like.
But, the old-fashioned ones have the strongest scent.
~Annie

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 2:01AM
cziga(Zone 5 -Toronto)

I'm actually interested in trying Sweet Peas as well. I tried one variety a couple years ago but tried to put them in a spot where they would hang down instead of grow up a trellis, and it was definitely a failed experiment.

I'm wondering if they re-seed profusely? As an annual, I'm sure they reseed a little bit ... but under control, or more like Morning Glory (out of control, you'll have them forever)?

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 5:31PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

cziga - reseeding will not be a problem. I've never had a single one. And to keep them blooming you need to keep picking the flowers which also militates against seeding. If you stop picking they stop flowering. They climb by tendrils so trailing is not in their nature. Although the flowers are pretty the plants are not, in fact the stems and leaves are fairly scruffy looking. I grow them in the veg garden for cut flowers only.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 5:27PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

thanks everyone. Flora, that is very useful to know that the foliage should be hidden. So I won't plant them right off the main patio for fragrance. And pick pick pick! Good, because I usually feel guilty picking flowers ;-)

honalee, a local nursery has spencers seeds, so I think I will try those.

THANKS!

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:14PM
ianna(Z5b)

cziga, look up Florabunda's selection of sweet peas. They have a catalogue online. There's so many to choose from. To extend their flowering, deadhead, deadhead, deadhead. and remove any pea pods. Anyway they do not reproduce true to form.

Ianna

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™